What is a software vulnerability assessment for?
It doesn’t matter if you develop your FinTech & E-commerce service by your own team or if you order outsourced development, software research for vulnerabilities should be carried out at different stages of the life cycle and pursues 3 main goals:
- First, we will help reduce the risks of direct financial losses from hacker attacks on your business services that contain software errors.
- Secondly, we increase the security of your business services by monitoring software development and checking it before it becomes available to your customers after release.
- Thirdly, we help maintain the reputation of your business. The fewer errors in the source code and with daily use, the lower the risk of crashes, downtime and negative user experience, and therefore the higher the loyalty of your customers that positively affects its development.
How are vulnerabilities detected?
Our researchers apply static and dynamic methods of analysis, checking both source code and compiled code. As a result of the vulnerability discovery, we draw up documentation in which we describe in detail the scenario of a successful attack on the object of study, and offer methods to eliminate the identified vulnerability.
Penetration Testing Techniques
- The Open Web Application Security Project («OWASP») Testing Guide v4.
- Open Source Security Testing Methodology Manual («OSSTMM») v3.
- Technical Guide to Information Security Testing and Assessment (SP 800-115).
- ISACA IS auditing procedure «Security assessment-penetration testing and vulnerability analysis».
- Penetration Testing Execution Standard («PTES»).
- A Penetration Testing Model («BSI»).
- Payment Card Industry («PCI») Data Security Standard («DSS») Guidance: PCI Information Supplement: Penetration Testing Guidance v3.2 April 2016.
- Federal Risk and Authorization Management Program («FedRAMP»): FedRAMP Penetration Test Guidance 1.0.1
Vulnerabilities in the software environment FinTech & E-commerce service
In real life, the service you developed interacts with dozens, if not hundreds, of third-party software services with open software libraries, vulnerabilities in which are also used by hackers in attacks.
We will help solve the problem of identifying conflicts at the security level, identify and eliminate vulnerabilities that threaten the security of your online business.
We continuously monitor and receive relevant information from our partners and industry colleagues regarding identified vulnerabilities in open source software that is often used in a corporate environment. Unfortunately, these vulnerabilities are not always timely eliminated by teams supporting a particular product.
Standing guard over your interests, we will eliminate the vulnerability without waiting for future problems with the attack.
Protection of FinTech & E-commerce update mechanisms from spoofing
Quite often, we encounter a problem when hackers were able in one way or another to influence the work of the development team. Hackers injected malicious code into the release build before upgrading. In this case, hackers do not need to make much effort, you yourself deliver the vulnerable product to your users with its update without suspecting it.
To identify the capabilities of attacking hackers, we will conduct a study of your infrastructure involved in the delivery of software updates, check the protection against spoofing in software updates. As a result, you will receive recommendations on resolving identified problems associated with the substitution of software updates.
We are often asked about how we could avoid the problems encountered in software development? Our recommendation on this subject is to use the Security Development Lifecycle practices. Our software development team uses these practices to reduce cyber risks. This allows you to implement the desired functionality of the applications without compromising security and reduce the cost of fixing vulnerabilities. The team regularly conducts security checks at all stages from the development of requirements, architecture, software code, testing, implementation and regular use.
As a result, the development team has reliable information on the list of weaknesses and vulnerabilities of the developed code and architecture, and errors in embedding security software. He knows the scenarios of hacker attacks using identified vulnerabilities. It understands the causes and methods of eliminating identified vulnerabilities, which allows the release of secure FinTech & E-commerce services.